Fed up with Ubuntu's Unity shell?

I have been using Ubuntu's Unity shell for nearly a year now and I have to say I don't really like it.  My main objection is that it is quite heavy weight.  I run Ubuntu of several computer both at home and at work and I still notice it is not very responsive at times.  I was considering switching away from Ubuntu but I found an alternative today.  The guys at Ubuntu have provided a way to install a standard Gnome 3 shell.

All you need to do is use the following command in any terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Then log out and in the login screen select 'Gnome' from the available sessions and login.

You should now have a Gnome 3 shell.  I have to say I prefer it.  I find it a lot more responsive and it is a fairly easy transition from Unity.  However, if you don't agree with me don't despair.  All you need to do to switch back is log out again and select the Unity session.

Comments

Popular Posts